We are seeking a full time permanent Data Modeler
-Reporting into the Director, Information Architecture
-Located in Toronto the role will focus on supporting the data strategy for the Investment Data Lake and building out it’s data assets.
· Understand and translate business needs into data models supporting long-term solutions.
· Closely interact with business partners, stakeholders, functional experts, business analysts, contractors, and developers to understand the system requirements and architect and design the data model and database schema based on the requirements.
· Work with the Application Development team to implement data strategies, build data flows and develop conceptual data models.
· Create logical and physical data models using standard methodologies to ensure high data quality and reduced redundancy.
· Optimize and update logical and physical data models to support new and existing projects.
· Maintain conceptual, logical and physical data models along with corresponding metadata.
· Develop standard methodologies for standard naming conventions and coding practices to ensure consistency of data models.
· Communicate effectively with no ambiguity during project execution on data model
· Understand and articulate interdependencies, constraints of the data model to Data Engineers, project teams and business teams
· Recommend opportunities for reuse of data models in new environments.
· Perform reverse engineering of physical data models from databases and SQL scripts.
· Evaluate data models and physical databases for variances and discrepancies.
· Understanding and experience in OLAP, reporting and analytics principles.
· Own the data definitions for all data tables and maintain data lineage
· Validate business data objects for accuracy and completeness.
· Analyze data-related system integration challenges and propose appropriate solutions.
· Develop data models according to company standards.
· Guide System Analysts, Engineers, Programmers and others on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements and interfaces.
Qualifications for this role include:
· Solid experience with business intelligence and data warehousing development technologies, RDBMS, Hadoop and Analytics Environments.
· Minimum 5 to 8 years of experience in IT with a minimum of 4+ years in Data Model design.
· Expertise with Big data technologies and Hortonworks/Cloudera HADOOP platform as well as BI and data warehousing development technologies.
· Strong Data Analysis skills
· Strong Data Modeling skills
· Expertise with Erwin Data Modeler
· Familiarity with Capital Markets data
· Knowledge of Data Modelling in AtScale
· Able to communicate clearly, both verbally and in written form
· Good work ethic, results oriented, and accuracy / attention to detail are critical
· Retirement Savings Accounts including a RPP (Pension Plan), RRSP (Retirement Savings Plan), and TFSA (Tax Free Savings account)
· xxxx Share Ownership Program with employer matching
· Customizable Benefits Package including Health, Dental, Vision, and 100% of Mental Health expenses
· Financial support for ongoing training, learning, and education
· Monthly Innovation Days (Hackathons)
· Wearing jeans to work every day