Technical User Support Specialist
Our client: design, build and manage high-security medical research platforms that support broad collaborations across multiple institutions, research teams, nationally and internationally. Deploy large scale informatics platforms involving wide-ranging and complex health data modalities (e.g., imaging, genomics, clinical assessments, wearables) across multiple disease areas. Our client’s platforms and services have been implemented in numerous settings including research institutes, hospitals and universities.
We are seeking a team member to provide technical development and support for a high-security health research platform. You will be responsible for helping maintain, administer and improve a complex data ecosystem supporting urgent government and academic research priorities in a high-security environment.
Your primary duties will include configuring research workspaces, training and assisting researchers in their use of the platform, testing and optimizing a complex virtual ecosystem including multi-petabyte storage, a massive GPU grid, and a sophisticated security monitoring and maintenance system. You will work closely with management, devops and developers to identify potential issues, fix problems, and recommend standards-based solutions to complex problems.
To be a successful candidate, you should have substantial experience in working with Linux, including a reasonable understanding of basic system administration tasks such as creating an account, changing file permissions, installing standard and non-standard software. Windows experience, particularly from an administration vantage point, is optional but highly desirable. Experience in working with health or research data is also desirable, as is any experience in working with secured systems and networks.
- Work with researchers and data curation teams within a highly-secured distributed computing system
- Establish user account and file system configurations within multiple networked Linux systems to enable collaborative research teams
- Help users work through technical problems encountered within the high-security cluster
- Assist in identifying technical solutions to novel problems and resolving those within the constraints of the security cluster, working with researchers to adapt their own work to new conditions
- Engage researchers, IT, administrative and sysadmin personnel to ensure the best possible experience for researchers
- Troubleshoot, diagnose and resolve hardware, software, and other problems both locally and remote.
- Protect data and environments by coordinating, planning and implementing best practices.
- Install, test and manage custom software configurations for research teams, including on the high performance computing grid.
- Work with developing security team to perform tests, uncover network vulnerabilities and develop company-wide best practices for privacy and security.
- Work closely with operations and data management team members to resolve end-user technical issues and respond to support requests and queries
- Assist operations and data management teams in deploying, validating and maintaining virtual workspaces
- Maintain documentation and provenance of performed tasks as determined by platform standard operating procedures
- Assist in the development and maintenance of standard operating procedures, work instructions and other applicable platform documentation
- Practical Linux system administration skills, including account creation and configuration, file system configuration, and Linux software installation.
- Ability to work with a variety of users to resolve issues, deal with challenges from the users themselves and maintain an effective relationship
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a collaborative team environment, and meet required schedules and timelines
- Outstanding skills in communicating complex technical issues and in providing comprehensive written, oral and/or digital products (including document organization and technical writing)
- Strong analytic skills and the ability to apply these skills in a multi-tasking environment where multiple projects are worked on simultaneously
- Able to deal graciously and effectively with ambiguity and requests for change
- Willingness to research and learn new approaches and technologies